Grilling the Natural Way
Building a Better Natural Beef Burger
- Start with the right meat – Dakota Farms™ Natural Beef.
- Always season the meat before cooking. Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper will do the job – or choose a specialty seasoning for extra flavor.
- Handle the meat lightly, compacting it only as much as needed to hold it together in ½ - ¾ inch thick patties. Make the patties completely flat or even a little concave in the center so that they won’t balloon up when the meat fibers shrink while cooking.
- Grill burgers over a two-level fire. Start over high heat for the first minute to sear, then finish over medium heat for 3 ½ to 4 minutes per side to cook through.
- No matter how tempting – don’t press down on the burgers with the spatula while cooking.
- For perfect cheeseburgers, set the cheese out before you begin the other burger preparations so that it’s not ice cold. Place slices over the burger just after the last turn, giving the cheese enough time to melt.